This delightful blueberry milkshake will be loved by young and old.
Summer is my second favourite month (first place goes to spring, but that’s a story for another summer day) and the best time for a blueberry milkshake. The days are long, skies are blue (‘red roses too’), animals feast, and we humans take to the beaches and lawns and make vague promises to exercise. Early daylight tricks the mind to wake with the dawn chorus, starting with the quieter, infrequent peeps, building up to a symphonic crescendo. By summer, avian hatchlings have learnt to fly and are experiencing what it is to be teenagers. Caught between youth and adulthood, the teenagers are fearless. They watch, imitate, experiment, and they eat. They pick from the choicest fruit, the plumpest and brightest that the season offers. Nature’s cornucopia overflows.
As it is for the birds, farmers’ markets too, offer sensational visual porn. Red and orange, blue and green; spicy and tangy, subtle and strong. All around is a hive of productive activity, heightening senses and awakening taste buds. Amidst this earthy energy, I am most drawn to the fruits. Standing over several large crates, I came home with 3 pounds of ripe, juicy blueberries in two shakes of a lamb’s tail. Wasting no time, we set about to blending large glassfuls of my own blueberry milkshake. It helped that we were getting a good dose of antioxidants!
- 3 cups blueberries
- 3 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp gula melaka (palm sugar), shaved
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Rinse and dry blueberries.
- Place blueberries and milk into a blender. Blend for about 5-6 seconds.
- Add in remaining ingredients and blend to desired consistency. Add more or less gula melaka according to taste.
- Pour into cooled glasses.
- Blueberry Smoothie with Milk Recipe at foodviva.com
- Blueberry Yogurt Smoothie by Ree on The Pioneer Woman